The American Physical Therapy Association established the specialist certification program to formally recognize physical therapists with advanced clinical knowledge, experience, and skills in a special area of practice and to help consumers/patients and the health care community identify these physical therapists. These physical therapists have become part of an elite community of health care professionals dedicated to exceptional patient care through specialized training and education.
Clinical specialization in physical therapy responds to a specific area of patient need and requires knowledge, skill, and experience exceeding that of the physical therapist at entry level into the profession.
A few stated purposes of the APTA Specialist Certification Program are:
- Promote the highest possible level of care for individuals seeking physical therapist services
- Provide a reliable and valid method for certification of individuals who have attained an advanced level of knowledge and skill in each specialty area.
- Assist consumers, the health care community, and others in identifying certified clinical specialists in each specialty area.
Mountain State Physical Therapy is dedicated to providing our patients and their communities with exceptional quality of care and outcomes. We have strongly encouraged our physical therapists to pursue specialist certification and they have responded. We currently boast :
- 6 Board-Certified Orthopedic Clinical Specialists (OCS)
- 1 Board-Certified Sports Clinical Specialist (SCS)
- 1 Fellow of the American Academy of Orthopedic Manual Physical Therapists (AAOMPT)
< 5% of all PT’s are Board-Certified Specialists in any area
< 3% of PT’s are OCS and < 1% of PT’s are SCS or AAOMPT
Clinical Specialists and Office locations are:
Andrew Barrish, PT, OCS and AAOMPT– Harrisville and Fairmont Clinics, MSPT President and CEO
Chris Moore, PT, OCS and SCS – Mannington Clinic, MSPT Vice President of Marketing/Development
Adam West, PT, OCS – Shinnston Clinic, MSPT Vice President of Operations
Gabe Wilson, PT, OCS – Fairmont Clinic
Paige Hacker, PT, OCS – Shinnston Clinic
Ben Ray, PT, OCS – Weston Clinic